Absolutely Literate

Friday, June 7, 2013

Growing your Thesis

I am an organic writer, or so I was told by an English professor, ages ago at university. I remember going to meet with her about my essay and I was terrified that I did not have an answer for what I thought would be the key question “what is your thesis statement?” I no longer remember the specifics of the essay, but I remember telling her that I wanted to explore the themes in one of the Sam Shepard plays we were studying and I am pretty sure there was some reference to a lyric from a Spirit of the West song and Norman Rockwell. At any rate I remember her saying that she too was an organic writer and that it wasn’t until your wrote she wrote her first draft that she knew where things were headed. I felt so relieved after all those years of being told that the first thing you did was write your thesis statement, then your outline, and then your first draft.

I was reminded of this today when reading the April 28, 2013 New York Times article “A Writing Coach Becomes a Listener” about William Zinsser. So much focus in writing lately seems to be around genre I was comforted to read Zinsser’s dismissal of these categories during the initial stages. “Don’t worry about labels. . . .We’ll figure out what it is after you’ve written it.”

There are so many distractions in our world it is a good reminder to just focus on writing well and worry about the rest on a different day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Absolutely Literate welcomes your feedback and comments on our articles. We intend to be courteous and professional in our postings and ask that you do the same.

Comments posted to our blog will go through a moderation process, but should be posted within a reasonable amount of time provided they don’t contain content that:

- is abusive
- uses offensive language
- is off-topic
- is obviously spam
- violates copyright
All comments made on the Absolutely Literate blog are the responsibility of the commenter, not the blog owner, administrator, contributor, editor or author. By submitting a comment on our blog, you agree that the comment content is your own, and to hold our organization, Absolutely Literate, and all subsidiaries and representatives harmless from any and all repercussions, damages or liability.

My Blog List